The Wine Cellar

Come and explore with me the amazing world of wines

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Join me in the Journey...

Viticulture demands hard work. The villagers say that you know nothing about life unless you have planted a vineyard, built a house, or married your daughters--Greeks used to provide dowries for their girls. A vineyard, however, will reward you beyond your wildest dreams if you learn to be in tune with it and passionate about it. It's one of the few crops that requires year-round attention and back-breaking work. And when you finally harvest the grapes and start the wine making process, the magic begins...
It's this magic that has captivated me since childhood as I watched my parents and the other villagers go about their chores of tending their vineyards and making wine. Although, I have to admit, at the time I understood very little about how wine was made. I was totally fascinated with the vineyards and the grapes, especially during harvest, but was not particularly fond of wines as a child--as I am sure most children aren't. It was not till I started living in my village again, after almost half a century of living abroad, that I fell passionately in love with the vineyards and wine. It's this passion that will be the subject of this blog that I want to share with you. I hope you will join me in this journey.

No comments: