The Wine Cellar

Come and explore with me the amazing world of wines

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Wine Review...

2004, Shingleback, Cabernet Sauvignon. Rated 92 points by The Wine Cellar

Let's start with a disclosure--I am not, even by a long stretch, a wine expert and definitely not a wine critic. But I love grapes and wine and want to demystify the reviews of wines and make them a bit simpler and better understood by common folk. I say this with great respect and humility toward wine critics. So this is the inaugural post of wine reviews and wish it will give you something to cheer...

The wine I chose is a 2004, Shingleback, Cabernet Sauvignon by McLaren Vale, South Australia. In the label, the winemaker says that the wine is "named after the lizards that live happily amongst the vines. Enjoy now or cellar for up to 8 years". It is 14.o% alcohol. I bought two bottles for $16/bottle in February 2008. Drank one in 2008 and kept the other one in cellar till February 2010. Unfortunately I did not keep notes on this wine in 2008 and regret not doing so. I was very impressed with it when I tasted again a few days ago and that is the reason I decided to write about it. I rate it 92 points, one of the highest ranked wines that I have tasted and for the price it is a "best buy" for The Wine Cellar and highly recommended.

If you are like me, you rate wines as real good, good, average, and bad. Now, that's not necessarily a bad description of wine but it doesn't do justice to them. Wines want their character fully revealed. They have flavor, taste and color and we must at least try to get to know them up close and personal. The McLaren Valley winemaker describes this wine as a deep red, full-bodied wine. Blackcurrant, blueberry and dark chocolate flavours that have been enhanced by 12 months maturation in fine grained French and American oak. That's a bit better than saying merely that this is a very good wine. Read the label and, of course, get to know the wine. Discover its personality; describe its soul; bring it to life and it will reward you beyond your expectations...

No comments: