The Wine Cellar

Come and explore with me the amazing world of wines

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

French Wine Review...

2006 Cotes du Rhone, E. Guigal-Chateau D' Ampuis
Rated 92 points by The Wine Cellar

I tasted a couple red wines before I came across this 2006 Cotes du Rhone. Although its cork was a bit dry--not preserved properly--it was an excellent pick. Brilliant in color, full bodied, well balanced with subtle cedar flavor. It had a velvety character that was very smooth and interesting at the same time. It was an excellent companion to various cheeses and a wheat/nutty bread. Will have to try it with meat and rich food, although my expectation is that it may may not be the best pairing.

I have to confess that I have been partial to Argentinean and Spanish wines with limited experience with French wines. This and a few other french wines I have tasted in my recent travel to France appear destined to change all this...

No comments: