The Wine Cellar

Come and explore with me the amazing world of wines

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

1986 Chevalier de Bayard, Emissary Selection

Rated 94 points by the Wine Cellar

This is the week for 1986 French wines--so it turns out. I posted a couple of days ago a review of a 1986 Marc Bredif Vouvray white--an excellent wine, by the way--and I thought it is only fair to continue with a 1986 red as well. It is a 1986 Chevalier de Bayard that I have been aging since 1987. I bought two cases back then and have been drinking them--very slowly--on special occasions. The wine isn't a great one by French standards. In other words, it doesn't have the impressive credentials of French wines. It is a Vin de Pays from the l'Herault region--a modest wine. I bought it because it satisfied my not very sophisticated taste at that time. It had improved a bit as it matured, but I had almost forgotten that I had it. A couple of weeks ago as I was updating my cellar inventory, I noticed it and I thought it's probably way passed its prime. Worried about being embarrassed in case it's a flop, my wife and I decided to have it all by ourselves one beautiful May evening in our front patio. What a wise decision! The wine turned out to be one of the best wines I have tasted so far.

The first thing I noticed was its color. It was a brilliant ruby with no traces of brown--meaning it has a few years left before it's past its prime. With 11% alcohol, early bottles were a bit thin--perhaps its main weakness. This one, however, had a considerably improved body--one of the chief benefits of ageing wines. This wine doesn't have a great nose--no fruits, no complex flavors. Its greatest strength was an incredible round and long taste with almost perfect balance. You simply don't want the taste to end. We were so impressed with it, we decided not to drink it all that evening. We enjoyed this rare find over the next two nights. Have three bottles left and will be reporting on them in the next few years--hope it continues to improve.

I had bought this wine back in 1987 around $15 per bottle. Don't know what might cost today, but it is well worth it, for my taste. I give it 94 points!

1 comment:

Alexandra Kinias said...

Can't wait to try the next one. Hope soooon :o)