The Wine Cellar

Come and explore with me the amazing world of wines

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Meet the Winegrowers of Distomo...

Loukas Kastritis
Winemaking isn't something you do casually. It requires hard work, knowledge, attention to details, organization skills and above all a passion for viticulture. Loukas Kastritis possesses all. Born in a farming family, he was influenced in a young age by relatives who had a love for the land and what it provides. He was initiated in the secrets of viticulture and he has been sharpening his skills and expanding his knowledge ever since. Loukas is perhaps the poster boy of the "weekend residents" and the best winegrower of Distomo. He tends his vineyards with a religious devotion and unmistakable pride. Consid
ering that he is growing grapes for his own use and enjoyment, the quality of wines he produces rivals and in some instances exceeds those commercially produced in Greece and abroad. Often, I find it too difficult to resist the temptation to tell Loukas that he should bottle his wines and build a cellar for preserving and ageing them. Initially, he brushed off the idea as wines "are best young and fresh out of the barrel". But 3-4 months after the barrels are open and in the heat of July and August, I would bring up the subject again as the wines are
noticeably oxidized resulting to an almost undrinkable potion.

In March when I arrived in Distomo this year, Loukas--who is, by the way, my dear cousin--asked me to come to his estate to see something. He took me to the basement of the house where he proudly showed me a recently renovated area which will become his wine cellar. I was extremely pleased both for him and for me as I felt that some of the seeds I have been sowing for the past 4-5 years are sprouting finally. So, stay tuned for further developments in the Loukas Kastritis' Vineyards.

2 comments:

Alexandra Kinias said...

The wines should be pleased that there will finally be a home for them.

Admin - Αμβρόσσιος said...

Άψογη σελίδα, μακάρι να ήξερα καλά αγγλικά...
θα ματαφράσω και θα αναδημοσιεύσω κάποια άρθρα.
ΜΠΡΑΒΟ