The Wine Cellar

Come and explore with me the amazing world of wines

Friday, January 15, 2010

Back to the Story...

For the second time since I started my wine collection, I was faced with the dilemma of what to do with my wines. I had accepted a position overseas in what I considered at the time would be a two-years assignment. I lived in Boston at the time and my wines and their EuroCave home had made their first cross-country journey from Arizona. Had barely settled there and couldn't even think about another move...

On top of the usual headaches associated with major moves, I learned that the customs duty for bringing the wines into Egypt was a staggering 5,000%-yes, five thousand percent. That made it cost prohibitive to take them along. I couldn't even consider the option of selling them. I was attached to them and some of them were aging beautifully. Had to find another option.

My boss and good friend Ed offered to keep them at his home in Boston for a while, but I needed something long-term as my two-year assignment was turning out to be much longer than originally planned. So, the wines and EuroCave started their travel again. First, to a storage facility and eventually to a much farther destination--my village in Greece. I came to realize at some point that no matter where I would end up living, I would always have a connection with my birthplace. That was a timely and wise decision and destined to be the conduit that brought me to this blog and this story.

But before we get too far ahead of ourselves, I would ask you to be patient with the rest of the story...

1 comment:

tkinias said...

Ah yes, I remember the Great What-Do-We-Do-with-the-Wine Crisis of the early 1990s... I also remember the results of the trial importation of a few bottles — something along the lines of You want what? Choke on it, you... (well, I guess I’ll refrain from a literal quotation, but We Were Not Amused at the Egyptian customs folks’ attempt at extortion).