The Wine Cellar

Come and explore with me the amazing world of wines

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Closing the Circle...

Shipping my wines and the EuroCave cellar to my village in Greece was made possible with the completion of a home we built on an ancestral land located a mile and a half outside the town. It was something that culminated a decade's extraordinarily wonderful rediscoveries. After living in the US for 27 years, I was now working and living in Alexandria, Egypt--a mere 40 minutes flight from Athens. My father was still alive and was eager to see him and spent as much time as possible with him for the little time I was fearing he had left in this life. I was going to make up for lots of lost time...Every chance I had--long weekends and every holiday--I would come to my village. It was like a very tired and thirsty man had reached an oasis after being lost in the desert...

Other than spending most of my time with my father and sister and her family, I would walk out in the neighborhood where I grew up and wonder in the village's two squares (platias). I would stop in the village's bakery--being operated by the same family since 1908--and receive my usual fresh baked bread, free of course since the propriator who still remembered me as the young 10 years old boy wouldn't have any other way...It was the warmest and most wonderful feeling I had felt for a very long time. I was again 10 years old and I had come home. The circle that had taken me to three continents was now closed...but the story continues...

No comments: