The Wine Cellar

Come and explore with me the amazing world of wines

Saturday, January 2, 2010

How I got started...

The year was 1982 and we had just moved into a new house. I suffer from allergies and the house was surrounded by fields of wild flowers and all kinds of grasses. Not what I really needed...
One day a traveling salesman showed up at our front door holding a large black case. He politely asked if I would be interested in tasting some of the wines he was promoting. He assured me that they were very good and not available at liquor stores. Because of my allergies, I was always searching for wines that would not throw me in a sneezing spree. I invited him in and that started both my education and enjoyment of wines. Five of the six wines he was promoting were white German wines by Ferdinand Pieroth. One of my favorite was a Spatlese from the Nahe Valley in a beautiful sculptured blue bottle. To my delight, other than the superb taste of the wines, I noticed that I was not having any allergic reaction to them. And although I had not been a fan of German wines till that day, I ended up ordering six cases of the Ferdinand Pieroth wines. I have been a follower of Pieroth and German wines since then.

No comments: