The Wine Cellar

Come and explore with me the amazing world of wines

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The more I learn, the less I know...

There is sufficient evidence that the ancient Greeks aged wine in sealed clay jars. The Romans, however, improved the practice and it became customary for the Roman nobility to engage in the ageing and, of course, in the enjoyment of old fine wines. After the collapse of the Roman empire, the practice of preserving and ageing wines faded away. Northern Europeans were content drinking cheap, diluted, low quality wines. A milleneum passed with wines having lost their luster. It was not till the 17th century when storing and ageing wines became popular in England among wine connoisseurs with the introduction of glass bottles and the use of corks. And demand for fine wines transformed the wine trade once more.
The ageing of wine depends on several factors, the most important two being: the wine must have the proper quality and characteristics to age; and must be stored in a cool place and not be in contact with air--not easily accomplished by the average wine owner and aspiring connoisseur. There is one more thing, however, that I wasn't aware when I started storing and eventually ageing wines--only a small group of wines available today commercially can benefit from extended bottle ageing. And then, there is perhaps the most challenging question that all of us who age wines ask ourselves: when is the right time to drink a wine that is being aged? Meaning, when does a wine reach that complex stage called full maturity??
I have grabbled with that question for a long time and many bottles have been been consumed in this, often enjoyable, pursuit of perfection without having reached any answers. I am sure of one thing today though--the more I read about the subject and the more I practice the various theories, the more I am confused. But we aren't in a hurry. We have lots of time and I promise you we will continue our discussion of this subject real soon in another detour in our journey. So stay tuned...

No comments: