The Wine Cellar

Come and explore with me the amazing world of wines

Friday, January 8, 2010

Thinking of Spring and vineyards...


As the end of the first full week of the new year approaches, I begin to lapse into long wonderful thoughts of spring weather in the Greek country side. They are often accompanied by vivid images of the numerous vines dotting the landscape of my daily route to the village from our home. There are more than two months left before we leave for our annual ritual, but my mental escape usually starts early. I visualize the budding vines in the morning fog, I smell the fresh, earthy air of the early spring, and I am overwhelmed by the temptation to speculate--often wish--on the weather conditions for the next six months that would result into a perfect growing season for the vines. Would it be a wet and cool spring? a warm and sunny summer with the usual cool nights? and what about the fall? how late will we be able to wait for a good harvest?
I feel very peaceful as these thoughts overcome my consciousness, often as each day comes to a close. Yes, paradise does exist after all...

2 comments:

Alexandra Kinias said...

I could really visualize everything you mentioned. I just never knew how to put it down in words as perfectly as you do.

George said...

I am so glad you do...thank you...